As a result of his suspension in Maryland, his license was suspended in five other states, and his application was put on hold in a sixth. He is still able to practice in 6 states, and surprisingly, in two of those states, his license was scheduled to expire on Jan. 31, 2012, but inexplicably were renewed without mention of the actions in other states.
At any rate, it looks like Dr. Geier is facing some more trouble that he's created for himself. On February 22, 2012, the Maryland Board of Physicians issued a Cease and Desist order (PDF) to stop practicing medicine.
According to the order, the board has evidence that Dr. Geier has continued to practice medicine in Maryland despite his license being suspended. He renewed an expired prescription for at least three patients. According to Maryland regulations, renewing prescriptions for which the refills had been exhausted constitutes writing a new prescription. But this cease and desist order isn't the only problem he might face. Because he practiced medicine while his license was suspended, he could face charges of practicing without a license, much like the charges (PDF) against his son, David. As I wrote in my look at David Geier, if charged and found guilty, Dr. Geier would have a felony conviction on his record.
This latest turn is interesting, since even if Dr. Geier's appeal is successful, he will still have this violation to worry about. If the facts as listed in the latest order are true and end in his conviction, the felony charge could potentially be grounds for yet another suspension of his license, completely separate of the charges he is currently appealing.
I have to say, watching the fate of the Geiers is like watching some slow motion pile up on a freeway.
- Map of Mark Geier Medical Licenses
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Supsended - Part 5
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 4
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 3
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 2
- Charges Levied Against Mark and David Geier
- URGENT: Please Call the Maryland State Board of Physicians About David Geier
- A Close Look at David Geier
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended