Based on the pictures I was able to find, fleams seemed a bit too complex for me. Not only did I not have the metalworking skills they seemed to required, I just didn't have the tools. The lancet looked much easier, though I did need to do a bit more research on how to add a handle. Some quick googling on how to put handles on knives and I was ready to start. A quick run to the local big box hardware store, then time to get to work.
To start, I picked up some 1/8" aluminum bar stock. Steel would have been a bit more accurate, but also prone to rusting. Also, aluminum is much easier to cut.
|1/8" Aluminum Bar Stock - Cheap and easy to work with|
|Aluminum cut to shape|
|2x2 Split, with shank outline traced on one side|
|Blade slot carved out of one handle piece|
|Side and 3/4 view shots of the shaped blade head|
|Handle pieces glued and clamped overnight|
|Detail of the blade end of the handle|
|Handle sanded nice and smooth; the butt end is tapered a bit|
Here's the finished result:
|My home-made prop lancet|