Catherina at Just the Vax alerted me to some very recent news. Today, she posted some excerpts from meeting minutes of the Florida Board of Medicine. It looks like Florida is the latest state to suspend his license (Final Order here; if the link doesn't work, you can look up the documents here), including administrative and punitive fines. It appears that Dr. Geier entered into a settlement with the state of Florida, agreeing to abide by their suspension of his license and waiving all rights to further appeal or challenge of their decision.
The board imposed a $1,000 administrative fine. He is also required to reimburse the Department of Health in the amount of $4,443.23 for the investigation and prosecution of the case against him, in compliance with section 456.072 of the Florida Statutes. Further, his license is suspended indefinitely:
Respondent's license shall be indefinitely suspended until such time as Respondent provides the Board with evidence that Respondent's license(s) is/are unencumbered in any and all jurisdictions In which Respondent is licensed to practice.Indiana also made a further step, going beyond mere suspension to actually revoking his license in that state. The revocation comes because he failed to appear before the board regarding his suspension, thereby defaulting on any appeal to their decision. The final order, dated July 5, 2012 further imposed a $5 fee and a fine of $3,000.
Finally, he may be facing additional penalties in Maryland for violating his license suspension earlier this year by practicing medicine without a valid license. Hearings to face the charges were held earlier this month.
This is certainly shaping up to be a bad year for the Geiers and their supporters. It's refreshing to see state medical boards actually doing their job to protect patients from the predations of people like Mark and David Geier. If I wasn't aware of just what they did, I might be tempted to feel pity for them. Luckily, I do know the sort of unethical behavior in which they engage and the risk they pose to autistic children and their families. I am, however, curious to know what, if any, actions will be taken against their associates at their national clinic franchise.
- The Fall of the Geiers Continues Apace
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 6
- Complaint Filed Against Dr. Mark Geier in Florida
- Mark Geier Ordered to Stop Practicing Medicine
- Map of Mark Geier Medical Licenses
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Supsended - Part 5
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 4
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 3
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended - Part 2
- Charges Levied Against Mark and David Geier
- URGENT: Please Call the Maryland State Board of Physicians About David Geier
- A Close Look at David Geier
- Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended